With only a few weeks left in the school year, now is the perfect time to sit down with your tween and plan ahead for those long, hot summer days! Here's your chance to beat the boredom before it starts. Set aside a relaxing 30 minutes with your tween to brainstorm a summer fun plan. That way when you inevitably hear the words "I'm so bored!" you'll have a list at hand to choose from.
Try to include a wide range of activities on your list. Some that your tween can do on her own, some that are free, some for a rainy day, some that are within walking distance. You can put activities down that are for the whole family, for your tween and a friend and special mother/daughter or father/daughter days. Day trips for you all are a fun way to break the monotony of the long summer!
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Walk Lady Bird Lake and take pictures of all the wildlife
- Visit the fountain at Auditorium Shores and cool down
- Help your daughter plan and prepare a theme dinner for her friends (Mexican Fiesta, Hawaiian Luau, French cafe)
- Fly a kite at Zilker Park
- Have a water balloon fight
- Visit the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Have an in-home spa day with homemade masks, manicures, and pampering! Have tea and spa snacks to create your very own staycation
Also, if some of the activities on your tween's list cost money, now is good time to have her do some extra chores around the house to save money for special outings!